Saturday, December 29, 2007

187 PRooF: "DoPe LiKA PouND oR A KeY"...

187 Proof - Dope Lika Pound Or A Key [Compilation]
Label: Wax That Azzs
Released: 1991



Stumbled across this joint while lookin` thru one of my boxes of cassettes trying to find an older mix tape I put together back in `99....LoL, at first glance I thought it was just some gangsta`D up mix I got from a friend. Then I took a look at the tracklist on the back & noticed a couple familiar Spice-1 song titles such as "187 Proof" & "East Bay Gangster", so I popped it up in the ol` tape deck & hit play. Gotta say that this joint`s a trip, not only does it contain some early Spice-1 tracks, but I`ve been told that it also includes an early mix as well as a remix of "Foul Play" The Coup`s very first recorded appearance. The track itself later appeared on their debut album "Kill My Landlord" album which dropped on Wild Pitch. It also has a few trippy instrumentals/dubs ("Lights Start Flashing") , interludes ("976-Spice" & "211 At 711") & the posse track "One Nation". It`s sort of like a weak attempt at a "We`re All In The Same Game" type of track, exactly who is on the song? I couldn`t tell you, sorry. There isn`t much info` on this compilation, but I can tell you a lil` about the Spice-1 tracks. First off, I gotta say that I`m actually DiGG`n this mix of "East Bay Gangster" more than the version that ended up on Spice-1`s debut album released on Jive Records. Maybe I just love how they used the bassline from the O`Jays` "Give The People What They Want", either way it`s DoPe! "Gangster Thang" is Spice kickin` some of his trademark gangsta tales over a simplistic Ol` School soundin` beat, there`s even a lil` Chuck D sample. “187 Proof” is a track that most folkS should know, lyric~wise it`s exactly the same as the album version. The beat`s a lil` different & there`s a bit of an intro before the track starts with Spice takin` a few hits off a joint & a sample of someone saying "A Green Leafy Substance..." followed by a sample "Roll up a phat one & pass it around..." over & over until the song sparks off. “2 B Reel” is a rare/unreleased track, Spice kicks gangsta flowS over a beat that just seems a lil` too soft for a Spice-1 track. Who knows maybe it was an attempt at a radio joint. So there you have it a lil` run~down of this relatively unknown compilation, check it out for ya`self...

2 comments:

Travis said...

thanks man, I seem to remember this comp for some reason back in the day. I always liked the old gangsta shit back then. Good lookin' out

HeRBaN LyRiX said...

No probS homie, figured that since it`s a pretty rare joint it`s definitely worth sharing with folkS...

As for what CresceNet typed up in here, no DiSReSPeCT but I have NO iDeA what you typed out, sorry. If it`s important you`ll break it down in English or I`ll be removing it (considering it spam)...



STaY BLeSS`n...